Donatella Sterpi graduated in Structural Engineering in 1993 from Politecnico di Milano (Italy), where she obtained a Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering in 1997. Between 1995 and 1997 she followed an experimental research at Kobe University (Japan). She was appointed as assistant professor at Politecnico di Milano in 1999. Since then she teaches geotechnical engineering within bachelor and master programmes. In 2008 she received the “Excellent Contribution Award for significant contributions in research, academic activities and professional service” from the Inter. Ass. Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics. The results of her research are discussed in about 50 papers, mainly published on international journals and on proceedings of international conferences.
- Non conventional laboratory devices and procedures for soil testing: plane strain compression apparatus, large scale direct shear box, small scale models for tunnels;
- Reinforced soils and ground improvement: mechanical characterization of reinforced sand samples, geotextile-geomembrane-soil interfaces, grout injections in sand;
- Protective liners in landfills: mechanical and hydraulic properties and factors affecting their performance, such as freezing-thawing cycles; properties of geomaterials characterized by a dual-porosity structure;
- Numerical modelling and back-analysis of surface and underground excavations in presence of difficult conditions, as strain softening and squeezing rock conditions;
- Application of numerical methods to the analysis of various geotechnical phenomena (strain localization, creep, seepage, erosion) and problems (retaining wall stability, shallow and deep tunnelling), and calibration of constitutive models for geomaterials.
Relevant publications (see www.polimi.it for the most recent ones):
- Sterpi D., Sakurai S. (1997). Numerical analysis of laboratory tests on a model tunnel. Proc. Int. Symp. on Deformation and Progressive Failure in Geomechanics, Nagoya (eds. A.Asaoka-T.Adachi-F.Oka, Elsevier Science), p.757-762.
- Sterpi D. (1999). An analysis of geotechnical problems involving strain softening effects. Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech, 23 (13), p.1427-1454.
- Sterpi D. (2000). Influence of the kinematic testing conditions on the mechanical response of a sand. Computers and Geotechnics, 26 (1), p.23-41.
- Cividini A., Gioda G., Sterpi D. Application of elasto-plastic analysis to tunnelling. In: Griffiths-Gioda eds., "Advanced numerical applications and plasticity in geomechanics", CISM Courses and Lectures n.426, Springer-Verlag, 2001, p.57-80.
- Sterpi D. (2001). Strain localisation effects in the stability analysis of shallow openings. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, ZAMM, Vol.81, Suppl.1, S101-S104.
- Sterpi D. (2003). Effects of the erosion and transport of fine particles due to seepage flow. Int. J. Geomechanics, ASCE, 1 (3), 111-122.
- Sterpi D., Cividini A. (2004). A physical and numerical investigation on the stability of shallow tunnels in strain softening media. Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 37 (4), 277-298.